Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Warm and Cool Hearts with Jim Dine




PREPARATION: precut Heart stencils from card stock and tape them to the table. Students will slip their paper underneath. 

DISCUSSION: Warm and Cool Colors
What are warm colors?
How do they make us feel?
Where/When do we see them?
What are cool colors?
How can they make us feel?
Where/when do we see them?
ARTIST
Jim Dine born June 16, 1935
He is sometimes considered to be a part of the Neo-Dada movement. 
He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio
He attended the University of Cincinnati and received a BFA from Ohio University 
 He first earned respect in the art world with his Happenings
Pioneered with artists Claes Oldenburg and Allan Kaprow, the "Happenings" were chaotic performance art that was a stark contrast with the more somber mood of the expressionists popular in the New York art world. 
In 1962 Dine's work was included, along with Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol and Wayne Thiebaud, in the historically important New Painting of Common Objects.
This exhibition is historically considered one of the first "Pop Art" exhibitions in America
Jim Dine’s Hearts were included in this exhibit
PROJECT: create oil pastel heart with stencil  
Step 1: name on paper
Step2: place stencil on paper and tape down
Step3: Color inside the stencil with warm oil pastels
Step4: remove stencil
Step5: fill in background with cool color of water colors
Step6: place on drying rack
MATERIALS:
Heart stencils
Oil pastels
Liquid watercolors in cool colors







6 comments:

  1. Beautiful interpretation of the artist work.
    I love the colorful lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea. And introducing the kids to such a creative artist as Jim Dine is also great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great lesson!
    http://useyourcolouredpencils.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/warm-and-cool-hearts.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use a stencil! My 5 year old loved it and the resist works "like magic!" Thank you for sharing! This would be fun with older students and have them do 4 on a sheet: 2 warm, 2 cool, like a quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the Sculpture of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha artslike you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check this Sneha arts , is also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the arts/design of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha arts like you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check these Sneha studio, also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete